Neighborhood Electric Vehicle Registration (NEV)
Arizona defines a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) as a vehicle which is self-propelled, and meets the following criteria:
- • Emission free.
- • Designed to carry four or fewer persons.
- • Designed to be, and is, operated at speeds of 25 MPH or less.
- • Has at least four wheels in contact with the ground.
- • Complies with low speed vehicles set forth in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 500 and 49 Code of Federal Regulations.
- • When these vehicles are initially titled, the owner must sign a statement regarding the operational restrictions that apply to the vehicle. Form 96-0124, Neightborhood Electric Vehicle is completed by the owner.
The following restrictions appl;y to the NEV:
- • Cannot be operated at a speed of more than 25 MPH.
- • Cannot be driven on a highway that has a posted speed limit of more than 35 MPH, but can cross a highway with a posted speed limit of more than 35 MPH at an intersection.
- • A notice of the operational restrictions applying to the vehicle must be permanently attached to, or painted on the vehicle in a location that is in clear view of the driver.
- • An NEV is elibible for the Alternative Fuel Plate and reduced VLT.
- • If manufactured prior to June 17, 1998, the NEV must have a Level I Inspection to verify that the vehicle meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Those standards are as follows:
- • Head lamps
- • Front and rear lamps
- • Tail lamps
- • Stop lamps
- • Reflectors
- • Exterior mirror on driver’s side of vehicle
- • One additional mirror licated either on the interior or the passenger side of the vehicle
- • Parking brake
- • Windshield
- • VIN#
- • Seat belt
- • The NEV must be retrofitted if manufactured before June 17, 1998 and the Alternative Fuel Plate and reduced VLT rate are to be obtained.
- • NEV’s must be titled regardless of the registrations status.
- • Registration and insurance are required to operate on roads in Arizona
- • NEV’s are exempt from paying both the AQCF ($0.25) and the AQF ($1.50) at the time of registration