10-Year Extended Driving Record (MVR)
Authorized Third Party Providers like EZ Title , are authorized to provide motor vehicle and driving records, to eligible individuals and entities. An MVR can contain a printout of an individual’s driving record, or a specific vehicle record, depending on the type requested. Information is released only in accordance with the Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (18 USC 2721-2725).
The FDPPA requires individuals or entities to have a “permissable use” when requesting and receiving any MVD records that contain personal identifying information, such as a person’s driver license photo, social security number, driver license number, name, address, and medical disability information. The Motor Vehicle Request Form (#46-4416) lists all “permissable” uses. The customer’s signature on the form must be witnessed by a notary public, or an MVD agent.
Individuals may give their express consent for the release of their Motor Vehicle Records information to any person or entity who is not otherwise authorized to receive this information. To authorize the release of this information, one of the two forms must be completed, in addition to the Motor Vehicle Request Form (#46-4416).
Consent to release Motor Vehicle Record one time form (#96-0643), which authorizes a one-time release of an individual’s MVR to a specific individual or organization.
Consent to release Motor Vehicle Record general form (#96-0276), which authorizes the release of the individual’s MVR to any and all individuals or organizations for any purpose.
Under no circumstances may a person’s verbal agreement to the release of their MVR be treated as sufficient to authorize the release of an MVR. EZ Title will not release any information by telephone. Customers who would like to request the status of their suspensions, revocations, and court information on their records, may contact the Motor Vehicle Division’s Communications Unit. They can be reached at (602) 255-0072 in the Phoenix area, at (520) 629-9808 in the Tucson area, or at (800) 251-5866 in any other areas.
Identification is required for each and every Motor Vehicle Record request. Each requester, including a private individual requesting another person’s record, must provide proof of identification. EZ Title will not be able to process your MVR request for another individual’s records, without positive identification. If an individual is requesting their own MVR and does not have acceptable identification, as long as they are able to complete the Motor Vehicle Record Request form, the records may be mailed to the address on record (only).
Motor Vehicle Records come in two formats: Restricted; and Non-Restricted. When completing the Motor Vehicle Record Request form, the selection of the applicable permissible use will dictate whether you will receive a Restricted or Non-Restricted MVR.
These records contain personal information such as name, address, customer record number (driver license number), social security number, medical or disability information, and may include a digital photo image. This information may be released to requesters using the following permissive uses:
- • For any person requesting his or her own record
- • For use by any government agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out it’s functions or any private person or entity acting on behalf of a government agency in carrying out it’s functions.
- • For use by an attorney licensed to practice law or by a licensed private investigator in connection with anby civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitration proceeding in any court of government agency or before any self-regulatory bod, including the service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and the execution or enforcement of judgements and orders or pursuant to a court order.
- • For use by any insurer who writes automobile liability or motor vehicle liability policies and who is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Insurance or insurance support organization or by a self-insured entity or it’s agents, employees, or contractors in connection with claims investigation activities and anti-fraud activities, rating or underwriting.
- • For use by an employer or it’s agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver license that is required under the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986.
- • For any other use in response to requests for individual Motor Vehicle Records, if the state has obtained the express consent of the person to whom the personal information pertains, and the licensee does not have an “Opt-Out” code on their record.
- • For use by any requestor if the requester demonstrates he or she has obtained the written consent of the individual to whom the information pertains. A signed and notarized Consent to Release Motor Vehicle Record – One-Time must be attached to the Motor Vehicle Record Request form.
These records contain limited personal information, such as name, address and customer record number (driver license number), and may be released to requesters using the following permissible uses:
- • For use in connection with matters of at least one of the following:
- • Performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts, and dealers
- • Motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research
- • Removal of non-owner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers
- • For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or it’s agents, employees, or contractors, but only:
- • To verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual to the business or it’s agents, employees, or contractors.
- • If the information submitted is not correct, or is no longer correct, to obtain the correct information for the purpose of preventing fraud by pursuing legal remedies against or recovering on a debt or security interest against the individual
- • For use in research activities and for use in producing statistical reports, if the personal information is not published, re-disclosed, or used to contact individuals.
- • For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles
- • For use by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service.
- • For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.
- • For any other use that is specifically authorized by law, and that is related to the operation of a motor vehicle or public safety, including the following:
- • Use by a financial institution or enterprise under the jurisdiction of the Department of Financial Institutions or a federal monetary authority.
- • Use by a motor vehicle dealer who is licensed and bonded by the Department of Motor Vehicles, or a state organization of licensed and bonded motor vehicle dealers.
- • Use by a person who is involved in an accident or the owner of a vehicle involved in an accident if the person who requests the information submits proof to the Department of Motor Vehicles of involvement in the accident.
- • Use by a person applying for a bonded title if all of the following conditions exist:
- • The requester verifies to the satisfaction of the Motor Vehicle Division that the vehicle on which the requester is requesting the record is in the requester’s posession.
- • The record is requested in order for the requester to notify the registered owner of the requester’s intent to apply to the Motor Vehicle Division for a bonded title.
- • The requester pro vides a verification of a vehicle inspection that was performed by an authorized Motor Vehicle Division employee or agent.
- • Use by an operator of a self-service storage facility who alleges both of the following:
- • That the vehicle on which the operator is requesting the record is in the operator’s poesession.
- • That the record is requested to allow the operator to notify the registered owner and any lienholders of record of the operator’s intent to foreclose it’s lien and to sell the vehicle.
For more information, or if you have any questions concerning your eligibility to receive a particular MVR, please contact our office. We will be more than happy to assist you.